Friday, June 05, 2009

I may pull this off, yet.

Instead of fixing what I did to my dress muslin by interfacing the cut-up pieces, I decided to use the medium-weight interfacing to make a new pattern. I pinned the cut-up pieces of fabric to the interfacing, traced the pinned fabric to mark the stitching line, then added a six-inch hem to the bottom of each piece and a two-inch seam allowance to the top and sides.

Brief panic ensued when I ran out of interfacing at piece seven of eight. Duct tape + smaller pieces = useable interfacing piece. (I'll zig-zag along that seam this afternoon after work so there's no incidental shifting. Because that would throw off my pattern, and I don't want that!)

I'm going to test-fit the pattern tonight and hopefully get to the second muslin late tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. Which means I could be cutting into the actual fabric for the dress lining tomorrow evening. (The silk comes last. Better to mess up the lining than the part that will show.)

I'm also trying to figure out whether I can make an adjustable crinoline by sewing snap-tape or hooks & eyes to the fabric-slip portion of either a stand-alone crinoline or the dress lining.

I've also got what I hope is a pretty spectacular idea for incorporating that embroidered netting into the pleats and neckline. It will be tres retro!

No comments: