Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shawls and socks

This is going to be the summer of shawls and socks.

Well, that, and Christmas gifts.  But back to the shawls and socks: I need some.  I need socks because my fun-n-funky store-bought socks are wearing out and my sock yarn stash is (ahem) considerable (by my standards) and my work environment is one that supports slightly funky fashion choices.  So I'm considering having crazy (handmade) socks be my trademark.  First up?  Play-off socks.  On account of the San Jose Sharks are in the semis and I have some Claudia Handpainted sock yarn in Sharks.

Is bee-yoo-tee-ful.

As to the shawls?

I think shawls and lace are beautiful and, until this weekend, so not me.  However, a friend of mine wrote a shawl pattern, so I wanted to try that, and I found I used my teal wrap a lot more than I thought I would when we were in Ireland, so I've been planning to make Summit from Knitty for our anniversary trip to Hawaii.

Now, I think maybe I need to be The Teacher with Crazy Socks and Shawls.  Because Hubster kept asking me why I was so dressed up on Saturday.  When I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt.  He thought I was dressed up because I'd also (a) combed my hair and (b) thrown on my teal wrap, pinning it at the shoulder so I didn't have to fuss with it.  (It was like wearing a light blanket - comfy and the perfect layer, since it was too warm for a full-on sweater.)

And as we were out running errands, I got little grins, winks, even compliments on my thrown-together outfit.

Seriously, if 30 seconds plus a pin to hold things in place can make tee-and-jeans into an outfit, I'm on board.

I wonder if that's why one of the kiddos asked me if I'm French.  Hmm.

No comments: