Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 In Review

2010 was my most productive year, needlework-wise, ever.  I also tried a lot of new things, this year.

In 2010, I completed 26 knitted projects (27 if I finish my Spearhead Cowl tonight).  I also finished two large home-dec sewing projects: a replacement for the way worn-out comforter cover and a new tree skirt, since the one I made in 2004 was far too small for our tree.


<KENOX S860  / Samsung S860>CoverInProgress

This year was far more about knitting than sewing, however. I learned to make socks, hats, a proper lace shawl, mittens, and a proper felted bag. I discovered Fair Isle (which I love the look of, even if I find the execution fiddly) and learned three new cast-ons: provisional, cable, and German twisted. I also finished my first sweater, for a feline who refuses to wear it.

By the numbers: over 11,000 yards knit. Seven hats, six scarves (two lace), one shawl, two pairs of socks, one buddy sweater, one pair of slippers, three bags (two felted), two neck-warmers, and one pair of mittens. More than 60% of these projects were gifts.

Still in progress: a pair of colorwork mittens, a cowl, Hubster's sweater, my Lady Eleanor wrap. Before finishing most of those, though, I need a hat!

In 2011, I plan to make myself more socks, a few scarves and shawls, a cardigan, and several hats. I also plan to do far less gift knitting. I think I'm moving into a more selfish attitude toward my time (and by extension, my hobbies) and it seems to me that's about exactly perfect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want your instructions for a tree skirt. Ours is pretty hosed.

Cindy said...

I'll see if I can remember what I did. (Simple version: measure, make circle on freezer paper with string & pencil, cut up freezer paper, use one wedge as pattern, sew, whine, piece together outer trim until it looks right.)

We are a High Class establishment here, clearly, and totally know what we are doing at all times.