Thursday, October 27, 2011

52 in 52: Week 43

I blame the Harry Potter Knit Crochet House Cup on Ravelry
I'm a bit closer to "on track" with this hare-brained scheme, although I'm not convinced I'll hit 52, between work and school and my work assignment getting extended and extended and extended (which is an AWESOME thing).

Since I've finally figured out spinning, I'm counting yarns-I-make in my "finished object count" for the year. And I've been making yarn like whoa because (a) I can do it in the dark, which makes it movie-compatible and (b) I can do it even when my brain is mush from the over-tired.

Om Nom Nom
 My first useable yarn is a worsted-ish weight 2-ply merino/massam/silk blend that knits and warms like a bulky-weight alpaca.  (I spun the first 45 yards, then started knitting, stopping only to spin more yarn when I ran out.)


"Amulet" spun from roving from Atomic Blue on Etsy
Around the same time, I also experimented with singles; the first, purple-and-acid-green single is from the same roving as one of the plys of the 2-ply worsted; the pretty blue-green ultra-light laceweight single started out as a BFL/silk/bamboo/sparkly stuff batt.

It's kind of hard to see the sparkly stuff, here, but I promise that it exists.  I'm not sure what I'll do with the bright yarn, yet, but the blue-green yarn is destined to become a small, sideways-knit shawl.  Eventually.
"Frozen Water" ultra-light laceweight singles


I've also been knitting a fair bit.  (And yes, I'm still working full-time and taking 6 graduate credits and conducting a classroom research project.  I sleep sometimes and see my spouse on weekends, that's how.)


Since my last update, I've completed 1 shawl (plus 80% of one and 35% of another), 3 socks, 2 pairs of fingerless gloves, 3 hats, two cowls, a long vine to drape over my window, and a dishcloth.  And I've still got a sock and a stuffed toy on the needles with a whole passel of things queued up to do next.
made from handspun yarn!


I'm tired, but I'm certainly never bored.


No comments: