Sunday, January 31, 2010

Craft Room Clean-Out: 2010 Edition

What's different about this year: I desperately need a discrete space to keep my substitute teaching and master's course material. Crate + tote bags strewn around the living room and shoved into the bulging craft room won't cut it, I'm afraid.


I am lucky to have a room all to myself for my hobbies. I need to have a quiet, organized space to support my academic and career goals. My daydreams of the room are of a spare, calm, toasty space with a sewing table, cutting table, small storage cabinet, and easy chair. The reality is that have so much poorly-organized stuff that I cannot currently enter the room and I have a real and immediate need for a space that is functional. (I just wish it wasn't quite so chilly in there!)

So. I need to clear the room out so that it resembles the above schematic instead of the current disaster of boxes piled and tumbled in a threatening mess so dangerous the cats are forbidden from entering the room for fear they'll be lost or crushed. (The bookshelf, dresser, cutting table, pegboard, and all of the cabinets are in place. I just can't get to any of them, presently.)

Plan 2010 is as follows:

* Bookshelf, computer desk, and files house school, work, financial stuff, and office supplies.
* Sewing table and pegboard house sewing tools (instead of current plastic tubs and wheeled carts.)
* Dresser and shelves (to be installed above dresser) house yarn stash, knitting and crochet patterns, tools, and reference Patterns will be stored in plastic tubs or crates in the dead space below the shelving system (Cabinets 1, 2, or 3)
* Big Cabinet and shelves (to be installed) house fabric stash and sewing reference material.
* Cabinet 1 houses quilting, embroidery (closed portion) and toy-making supplies (open shelving).
* Cabinet 2 (all open shelving) houses entertainment (TV/DVD), screen printing, stenciling, and home decorating supplies
* Cabinet 3 houses art (closed portion) and paper crafting supplies (open shelving)

The Tall Shelf will hold decorative/sentimental items that are currently intermixed with the mess.

Step One: Sort like with like and work to get six-foot banquet table out of the room to allow placement of sewing table and computer desk.

This is going to be a BIG job, but I'll be happy to have done it.

No comments: