Monday, April 19, 2010

The Ballad of the Yarn Cupboard

(Why do I keep wanting to write a limerick here?  Also, my meter is always crap.  It's not like a majored in English or anything.  Or took the Lit-GRE.)

The Ballad of the Yarn Cupboard
or, How the Young Knitter Learned Self-Restraint
The room was crowded full of yarn
And of some fabric, too.
Zippers, buttons, lace, and ribbands
In boxes, bags, and spools.

Each day, she'd view the ravelry,
That place of fibrous joy!
To contemplate enhancement of
The stash that she could see.

Until, one day, the small dresser
That had so nimbly held
The yarn and hooks and needle-parts
Seemed primed to explode.

Enough! she cried, shamefacedly,
I have too much, by far.
A diet, for my yarn habit
I'll knit until it's gone.

From that day forth she swore an oath
To knit her stash straight down.
Her project queue, though voluptuous
Must quickly whittle down.

And so the yarn procurement game
Would be required to cease.
Until the stash cupboard was bare,
And she'd knit all her fleece.

"Five projects out" became her creed,
Though other knitters stared.
With joyful heart she set to work,
Of her space, newly aware.


In other words, I'm a little shocked by my recent pace of stash accumulation and have resolved to do better.  I won't swear off acquiring yarn entirely, but I've decided that, once I've gotten through my current yarn-matched queue, I can buy yarn no more than five projects out from my current WIP.

I also need to be more dilligent about limiting the number of projects I have in progress.  I'm thinking 2-3 should be sufficient: one in the finishing stages (which should get attention once per week), one complex piece, and one simple piece.

Should also reduce the blocking logjam currently happening in the kitchen.

No comments: